these two are dishes that i love to eat in restaurants/zi char places when i go out! and i always want to recreate dishes that i like, so that i can have it whenever i want ;) these two recipes were mainly invented by myself, with just some inspiration from recipes i sourced online (:
Sambal Fried Rice
3 cups of rice, stored in the fridge overnight
1 heaped tbsp of sambal (or more if you like it spicier. this was average-ly spicy!)
2 tbsp ketchup
a handful of dried shrimps, soaked
4 chinese sausages, sliced
6 cloves of garlic, minced
a handful of cherry tomatoes, washed and halved
12 eggs, beaten (2 for each omelette)
1. Mix the sambal and ketchup in a bowl.
2. Fry the dried shrimps and garlic till slightly browned. Add in the chinese sausages and fry for about 2min.
3. Add the cherry tomatoes and fry till they just start to soften.
4. Add in the rice and mix well, frying for about 5min.
5. Add the sambal+ketchup mixture and fry till all the rice is coated. Add more ketchup/sambal if necessary. Set aside.
6. Fry the eggs, two at a time to make an omelette.
7. Serve the fried rice with the omelette.
Cold tofu with pork floss
3 pieces of silken tofu
some pork floss
a pinch of dried shrimps, soaked (amount should be much less than that used for fried rice)
2 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp dark soy sauce
1 tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with a bit of water
1. Place silken tofu in a bowl and ladle with boiling water, being careful not to break the tofu (it is very fragile!). Place the tofu back in the fridge for at least 30min.
2. Mix the oyster sauce, dark & light soy sauce and sugar in a small pot and heat it up. Slowly add in the cornstarch mixture till the sauce thickens to your desired texture. Bring to a boil then allow it to cool.
3. Fry the shrimps with a bit of oil.
4. To serve, scatter the shrimps and pork floss over the tofu and spoon some sauce over it.
packed this for darling’s lunch for him to eat! (: